Volunteer Facilitators work with our visitors (mainly families and school groups), engaging them using activity stations, interactive components and Museum objects. This volunteer experience provides valuable training and experience in communication, interpersonal skills, teaching skills and Museum education.
For further information, visit the hands-on galleries web pages.
- Work alongside other volunteers and staff as a team to ensure the gallery meets its goal of providing a fun, hands-on learning experience
- Work directly with the public to actively engage visitors by facilitating the use of discovery boxes, activity stations and other exhibits
- Circulate throughout the gallery ensuring the presence of a Volunteer Facilitator in each area
- Welcome school groups and visitors
- Ensure that the gallery is safe, tidy, free from obstructions and supplies are replenished as needed
- Applicants must be 18 or older and have a High School Diploma. University Degree, or working on a university degree, is considered an asset
- Able to make a commitment of one four-hour shift every week for one year including the summer months and holidays
- Previous experience working with children is essential
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in a crowded and noisy environment
- Proficiency in English; bilingualism is an asset
- Able to work well as part of a team under the direction and supervision of staff
- Enthusiasm for educational museum work, experiential education and volunteering with children